"If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough." -Meister Eckhart
Gratitude holds us together even as were falling apart. Ironically, gratitudes most powerful mysteries are often revealed when we are struggling in the midst of personal turmoil. When we stumble in the darkness, rage in anger, hurl faith across the room, abandon all hope. While we cry ourselves to sleep, gratitude waits patiently to console and reassure us there is a landscape larger than the one we can see. It's easy to be grateful when life hums, when the moneys in the bank, the romance is divine, and your healthy. But when you don't know how the bills will get paid or he doesn't love you back or he wont return your calls or your feeling from a devastating diagnosis. "thank you" usually isn't the phrase that immediately comes to mind. However every time we remember to say "thank you" we experience nothing less than Heaven on earth.
I started one of the best journeys ever. Which was to follow through on exactly what this book says. This book is called The Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude. I can already see the wonders its doing for my soul. It doesn't ask for much, actually it doesn't really ask for anything at all. Think of five things you are grateful for at the end of the day. Faith, answered prayers, kindness of strangers, company of others, not having to cook, a boundless imagination. Write those five things down every night before you go to bed. Some days will be easier then others. Some days you might want to write down that your grateful that the days over, but you still have to write down four more things.
I will not be posting everyday what I am grateful for, but here are my examples of what I have come up with so far. I think it will help you get an idea of how amazing this concept actually can be.
January 1, 2013
1. A fresh start.
Today is a day for a new year, leaving everything in the past.
2. Sleep.
We all know on New Years Ever it ends up being a 3-4 a.m. night.
3. The Aroma of a Candle.
I bought my mom a Voluspa candle from Alice Lane. It's amazing. I love all of their candles because they are so unique and powerful.
4. Something Delicious
Man on man did we have leftover yumminess from our party. Everyone brought something different and anything you would of wanted was there.
5. Spending the holiday with all the right people.
My whole family was together this year. It is the last year all of us will be together before my brothers head off on missions. Thats something to be grateful for.
January 2nd 2013
1. A Good Cry
Tonight I found out some news that I wasn't to thrilled about. I couldn't stop wiping tears and I was pretty emotional. It's never the best feeling when you are let down.
2. Heartbreak
Although it never fails to kill you sometimes you do make it through and you come out an even better person. I am grateful for heartbreak because its shapes your character and tests your ability to handle situations.
3. Family Relationships
My family always has my back no matter what. It's nice to have them when "shit hits the fan"
4. Pampering Yourself
I was able to use a massage coupon my mom got me for Christmas. Massages are always relaxing.
You always feel like a million bucks after.
5. Loving Your Job
I work with the most beautiful children every single day. I wouldn't even call it work. It gets me through everyday and I am so incredibly blessed.
January 3rd 2013
1. Feeling the Presence of the Spirit.
When your struggling its always nice to know god loves you. The presence of the spirit not only reassures gods love for me but always reassures that even after rejection I am heading towards something better that can offer me more.
2. When Hope is Restored
I wasn't quite sure how I was going to feel when I woke up. When you have a night where things don't really go your way and you are let down by someone you really care about you expect yourself to be upset and angry. I was actually the complete opposite which is unusual when someone screws you over like that. I felt so much peace and happiness. I actually had never felt better. I knew everything would be okay. Hope was restored.
3. The Laugh of a Baby.
Man oh man I could kiss and tickle baby Jett all freaking day. I love that handsome babe.
4. The Desire for Knowledge.
Today I realized I want to go to school. I want to take a writing class and become better, faster and stronger. I also want to seek to find new gifts in my life threw knowledge.
5. Answers to Prayers.
After the Christmas holidays I was concerned that I wasn't going to be able to pay all my bills. I was getting a check today and I had no idea how much it was going to be with my being sick so much this pay period. I had no idea what it was going to be. It ended up being less then I expected and I had no idea how I was going to pay my bills. I really didn't want to have to call my parents. Well Ryan's Ashley's husband walks by and says add on some money. I am not going to say how much but it was a lot of money. A lot more then my check. He said it was Christmas Bonus. I explained that Ash had already given me a gift card to Nordstrom's for Christmas Bonus. Well as much as I told them not to they wrote me out the check and they didn't realize it but they were a huge answer to my prayers.
Its been three days of doing this everyday and I can already see the blessings coming into my life. I not only look for the blessing everyday but when I look back I remember everything I am grateful for. I remember the amazing things that happened to me and the tender mercies the lord provides me with.
